In 1913 it was decided to move the Saint John Golf Club and Riverside was chosen as the site, being near the post highway and the old Intercolonial rail line, now the Canadian National Railways. Three members borrowed $7,000 and bought 250 acres of virgin land at Riverside. The Riverside Club was formed.
It took two years to build nine holes as money was scarce and clearing expensive. There were times when the funds were so low that wages could not be paid until another bond was sold. The First World War made things more difficult but the course was opened in 1915. No clubhouse was built, however, until after the war.
So popular was the game becoming that the nine hole course became congested with players and it was decided to double the size in 1920. To do this, revamping of the layout was necessary in addition to acquiring new land. Mr Hatch, assistant to golf architect Donald J. Ross, planned the new 18-hole link at Riverside. It took several years to complete this as money was none too plentiful and considerable ground clearing was essential.
Meanwhile, Miss Mable Thompson's Brother, Percy W. Thompson, had been getting interested in the Royal and Ancient sport. He watched the struggle being waged by his friends to hew out a golf course of class and beauty. He began showing interest in the Riverside Club and built a large residence alongside the course in 1934.
Between that time and the Second World War, he devoted his entire summer time to improving the layout and spent a large amount of his own money in bringing up the quality of the course to the standard of other notable layouts in North America. He had the advice of Mr. Ross who visited the Riverside Club to inspect the course several times.